The overall purpose of this role is to ensure “right first time” tooling design is delivered efficiently and effectively to both internal and external customers. Reporting to a Design Supervisor, you will be part of a large team of designers responsible for designing complete designs for precision pharmaceutical tooling based on a list of defined inputs.
- Study and follow a complete design brief
- Design of Blister packaging tooling using computer aided design (CAD) carried out exclusively in SolidWorks.
- Control of Bill of Materials (BoM), CAD Models and Engineering Drawings.
- Adhere to project deadlines and schedules
- Contribute to departmental monetary targets
- Make design changes on existing products
- Follow defined procedures and internal standards
- Detailed review and check of designs and changes for compliance to internal standards and procedures
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities
- Support process improvement activities
- Assess and implement improvements proposed by manufacturing, assembly and other key departments within the company
- Undertake special projects as required
- Reverse engineer tooling
- Support the review of customer issues when required and propose solutions
- Provide the Sales and Customer Services Team with technical support as required
- Liaise and communicate with other departments, customers, suppliers and other service providers.
- Be an effective team member, working with supervisors and colleagues to ensure smooth workflow with maximum output
- Third level qualification in BEng in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 4 – 6 years in a Mechanical Design Engineer role designing bespoke products
- A sound knowledge of computer aided design (CAD) software such as SolidWorks, technical drawings and 3D modelling essential
- Experience of producing detailed drawing for manufacture with knowledge of geometrical tolerances
- An excellent grasp of engineering and design principles
- Strong and proven problem-solving skills with high attention to detail
- Experience designing blister tooling or equipment for the pharmaceutical sector a distinct advantage
- Ability to work in a structured, systematic and organised manner, with high level of concentration.
- Self-disciplined, thorough, methodical and predictable in approach to completing tasks. Highly organised with excellent planning skills
- Team player, with the ability to build relationship within and external to the design team.
- Enjoy the challenge of problem solving and identifying well thought through practical solutions.
- Self-motivated, flexible, proactive and committed
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in fast paced, results driven and ever changing environment
- Strong attention to detail and quality
- Excellent ability to express ideas and collaborate effectively with stakeholders at all levels
- Innovative thinker that can envision new and better ways of doing things
- Proven analytical aptitude and problem solving capability
- Analytical thinking and ability to make calculated decisions based on facts and information.
- Desire to continuously improve, raise standards, reduce errors and perfect processes.
- Ability to remain calm and objective under pressure